Business, Litigation, Divorce & Family Law
At the family dinner table while I was growing up, we enjoyed vigorous argument and debate as much as the food. Even as a child, I loved finding out all of the facts. Going to law school seemed a natural choice.
After graduating, I immediately headed to New York to work for a large international law firm. I learned a tremendous amount. But something, or someone, was missing. You. And me. I realized that I wanted to be collaborating with my clients, that all those facts, all the research, all the arguments, even the law, only made sense in how they could fill the needs and meet the interests of people – which requires time and attention and caring that are often lost in big settings.
In 1995, I moved to Asheville and practiced law on a smaller-but-no-less-important-scale, eventually meeting April Burt, an attorney who is equally client-focused. We each have specific areas of practice. Mine include civil litigation, contract drafting and review, advising small businesses and individuals and family law – but we also collaborate at times to best serve our clients. At the heart of it all, I am primarily a trial lawyer.
I like to say that I carry the facts of your case in my brain at all times, even while showering and sleeping (I really do)! But, there are some hours I take to spend with my two daughters. We enjoy hiking these beautiful mountains and attending the plethora of cultural and arts events that Asheville offers. We also love to travel, and I’m fluent in French as well as conversant in Spanish and German.
I look forward to meeting you, understanding your needs and concerns, and collaborating with you to achieve the best possible results.
- Bachelor of Science, Languages, Georgetown University, Washington DC
- Juris Doctor, University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison WI, With Honors
- Articles Editor for the Wisconsin Law Review
- Legal Writing Teaching Assistant
- White & Case Law Firm, New York, NY
- Van Winkle Law Firm, Asheville, NC
- The Hart Law Group, Asheville, NC, Litigation Department Head
- Western District of North Carolina
- North Carolina Superior and District Courts
- North Carolina Bar Association
- 28th Judicial District Bar Association